Hi friends! Happy (?) Monday!
Jeremy and I had a productive weekend! On Saturday we cleaned out our basement and donated 2 carloads of stuff to the Salvation Army and now have 7 bags of trash waiting to be hailed away. It feel SO much better! We can actually move around without dodging random things now!
On Saturday night we went to the rollerderby! I had never been to a roller derby bout before and it was awesome! Our friend, Jen, aka Rachel Slure (that is her roller derby nick name) was just coming back from having the most adorable baby ever and she did an amazing job! I’m still a little fuzzy on the rules of roller derby, but it looks like tons of fun, not to mention a great workout! Our local team is called the Dutchland Roller girls. We had a really great night watching our them trample the team from Hanover, PA.
I was bothered about my tumultous relationship with mushrooms. I like almost all other vegetables (eggplant is the other one I cant stomach, also because of the texture and probably because I was forced to eat fried eggplant when I was a kid. Ugh, I get chills just thinking about it.) and I want to enjoy mushrooms as well. So, I realized that if I cut mushrooms small enough, and include them with other vegetables, I dont notice their texture. Perfect! I am happy to report that the past 3 weeks or so, I have used mushrooms three times! Now I guess I need to work on eggplant…
Yesterday I decided to make vegetable pockets. Which are basically just a variety of vegetables, any will do, tucked in a little dough pocket.
First I made a standard whole wheat pizza dough and while I was waiting for the dough to double, I sauteed shallots, red peppers, zucchini and MUSHROOMs until soft… added a little salt, oregano, and basil
Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes (until the top is golden).
I decided to serve the veggie pocket with a little tomato sauce and rice pilaf. It was delicious! A fun meal for when you want something different, but with familiar tastes.
Hanging out in the sun. Ps — those wicker chairs are not ours…
Makes 4 pockets
3 T shallots
1 T olive oil
1 red pepper, diced
1 cucumber, diced
1/2 lb mushrooms (!), diced (any kind will do)
1 T oregano
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup tomato sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Whole wheat pizza dough
Prepare the pizza dough. While it is doubling, begin to cut and prepare veggies.
1. Saute scallions in oil until soft at medium heat
2. Add red pepper, saute until soft
3. Add zucchini and mushrooms, saute another minute or two
4. Add 1/4 cup tomato sauce and basil, salt, and oregano
5. Turn heat down to low heat and simmer until most of liquid is absorbed
6. Once dough has doubled, punch it down and transfer to a flowered surface.
7. Roll the dough out very thin and cut into 4 squares
8. Divide vegetable mixture evenly between squares of dough
9. Fold sides of dough in and place on a greased baking sheet seam side down
10. Sprinkle basil on top of each pocket
11. Bake at 350 for 20-30 or until the tops are golden brown