Two of my favorite things are sweet potatoes (duh) and mac n cheese. So, I figured, why not put them together?!? I based the recipe on my favorite mac n cheese recipe that I have been making for a while now. I really enjoyed the result! It was super creamy with just a hint of sweetness from the sweet potatoes.
Today is Sunday, and that means spring break is basically over 😦 but its Sunday Movie Extravaganza! Tonight we are watching the Godfather, I’ve never seen it!
Sweet Potato Mac ‘N Cheese
Makes 8 servings
6T unsalted butter
1 large sweet potato peeled
1/4 cup half and half
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
6 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese (this is a LOT of cheese, you could probably cut it in half and be fine. I just love cheese :))
1 box whole wheat elbow macaroni
Crushed Corn Flakes
1. Preheat over to 375
2. Put the sweet potato in a sauce pan and cover with water. Boil for about 30 minutes, or until a fork can be inserted easily through the fattest part
3. Cut Sweet Potato in quarters and put in food processor. Process for about a minute and then add in half and half and process until incorporated and smooth. Set aside
4. Warm the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
5. Melt the butter in a high sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add the flour. Cook sitrring for about a minutes
6. While whisking, slowly pour in the hot milk a little at a time to keep mixture smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick, 8-12 minutes
7. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and pureed sweet potato. Mix until incorporated.
8. Stir in 4 1/2 cups of the cheese and set aside
9. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Cook the macaroni for about 5 mintues. It will finish cooking when its baking. Remove from heat and drain.
10. Add cheese sauce to macaroni and pour into a 9×13 dish. Top with remaining cheese and spinkle crushed corn flakes on top
11. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.